Monday, February 6, 2012

Paying for stem cells: A bad idea (editorial from LA Times)

" The practice might lead to donors who wouldn't admit to having a medical condition that could potentially endanger the recipient. "

Like blood and plasma, stem cells are usually obtained through an easy procedure, and the people who donate them quickly generate more. But in other ways, they're markedly different. There might be only one or two potential donors who are a good match for a patient in need of stem cells. That means donors who are less than entirely altruistic are in a good position to demand thousands of dollars for their stem cells, which would make the life-saving transplant, sometimes used in the treatment of certain cancers and autoimmune diseases, available mainly to the rich.

Jump to LA Times Editorial Here

I was found to be a match to a baby girl a couple of years ago.  (via Bone Marrow Registry site...direct link on this blog).  When they found out that I had tested positive for Rheumatoid Arthritis they turned me down.  I cried for a couple of days! I was so disappointed that I was unable to help that child...

No comments: