Friday, September 27, 2013

Multiple Myeloma Insurance Questionnaire Ask before you buy—Get the best coverage for you

How do I know if the insurance plan I am buying will cover the care I need to treat my multiple myeloma?

Although there is no cure for multiple myeloma yet, new therapies have made it treatable, helping individuals with the disease live longer and healthier lives. By asking the questions listed below you can determine whether the insurance you are considering will cover your multiple myeloma care.

Prior to choosing your insurance, ask your doctor for a multiple myeloma care plan.

Questions for the insurance plan you are considering: 

 Are both blood and urine serum protein tests (electrophoresis and immunofixation) covered? If so, what will be my share of the costs? Are there annual or life-time limits on the number of tests that are covered?

 Does your plan cover bone marrow aspirations and biopsies? If so, what will be my share of the costs? Are there annual or lifetime limits on the number of services that are covered?

 Does your plan cover the imaging tests used for multiple myeloma care (X-rays, bone density scans, MRIs, PET and CAT scans) that will be used to further diagnose and monitor my disease? Are there any annual or lifetime limits on
the number of imaging tests that are covered? What will be my share of the costs?

 Does your plan cover genetic testing for myeloma risk assessment, including, cytogenetics and FISH? What will be my share of the costs?

 Does your plan provide coverage for Autologous Stem Cell Transplants? If so, how many? Does this include stem cell harvesting and storage of the stem cells? What will be my share of the costs?

 Does your plan cover costs associated with clinical trials? If so, what do you cover and what would be my portion of those costs?

 Are nutritional and lifestyle counseling sessions covered? If so, can you describe what you cover and my share of the costs?

 Does your plan cover serum free light chain assays (Freelite®) to screen and monitor multiple myeloma? If so, what will be my share of the cost?

 Does your plan cover radiation therapy? What is my out of pocket expense? Are there any annual or lifetime limits on the number of radiation therapy treatments that are covered?

 Does your plan provide coverage for intravenously administered and subcutaneously administered drugs including Velcade, Cytoxin and Kyprolis? What is my out-of-pocket expense to obtain these drugs?

 Does your plan cover bisphosphonate therapy such as Aredia or Zometa? What is my out of pocket expense? Will it also cover a pre-treatment dental exam?

 Do you carry Thalomid, Revlimid, and Pomalyst on your formularies? What is my out-of-pocket expense to obtain these drugs?

 Are my health care providers included in network? What is my out-of-pocket expense to see them? Can I access multiple myeloma experts from outside the network? If so, what is my out-of-pocket expense?

Downloadable PDF File HERE

No comments: