Friday, August 25, 2017

It's Been ROUGH Around Here

Dom's neuropathy has gotten so bad that he's now in a wheelchair.  He can't feel his feet.

A dear friend, Richard McM came over to build a wheelchair ramp for him.  Unfortunately, Dom is using my dad's old wheelchair-  probably 30 years old and HEAVY.  I can barely move it into my car.

On Wed., we had an appointment with Dr. Safah at Tulane.  She's going to arrange for a few weeks of physical therapy to get him walking again, then putting him back on a different chemo. She said that besides the neuropathy, his muscles have atrophied after a couple months of inactivity.

We came home very hopeful-  feeling positive- happy to be back with Dr. Safah.

We stopped to get some food to go on the way home.

Dom went to bed after eating.

I noticed that there was a message on the answering machine.

It was Dr. Safah's nurse telling us to get to an emergency room IMMEDIATELY.  His sodium was "critically low" at 120.  (Hyponatremia)

So... off we go to Our Lady of the Angels ER in Bogalusa, LA-  about 15 miles away.

The ER doctor told me to go home, as he would be admitted.

They finally put him in a private room at about 10 pm.  By that time, his sodium had dropped to 119.

They pumped him full of sodium and released him last night once he reached 130.

Got home around 7:30 pm.  He fell TWICE last night using a walker.  He cannot feel his feet or calves.

So, now I'm working on getting him a wheelchair.  Hoping that Tulane will do it.  He called our VA Rep this morning, and she said that if he got an appointment with the VA  (ha-ha), they'd pay for it.

I'm waiting to hear from Dr. Safah's folks to obtain a lightweight wheelchair that I can lift for him.

So-  kinda "gloom and doom" here.

Thanks for your continued prayers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear...hard times..has he been on ninlaro? Been very good for my husband..

No No said...

Thanks, kiddo.

Just Velcade and Revlimid that they took him off.

I'll look into that!

Nan

Anonymous said...

Have they checked his blood sugar levels? I think rough might be understatement for all you are going through. Sorry to hear this news.